Parcel to Afghanistan
Early indications are that support for the economy and increasing trade and investment will be priorities for Afghanistan’s new government of national unity.
Afghanistan is a new market for many international companies and offers opportunities for distribution of products or services that match the needs of low income, developing countries.
About 40 UK businesses operate from Afghanistan, including security companies and larger firms such as GSK, and Unilever.
Benefits for UK businesses exporting to Afghanistan:
· low levels of competition which create opportunities to bring in new products with potentially good profit margins
· United Arab Emirates (UAE) or Pakistan based companies with access to Afghan market offer low risk option for market entry
· young and growing population with 70% below 25 years of age
· new government committed to tackling corruption
Strengths of the Afghanistan market include:
· local, highly capable companies, which are adaptable, entrepreneurial and have survived in hard times
· a growing middle class
· significant potential for exploration in minerals, and in oil and gas
UK and Afghanistan Trade
The UK exported goods worth USD 48.8 million in 2014.
The UK exported services worth £600 million to Afghanistan in 2013.
Top UK goods exports included:
· power generation machinery
· electrical and electronic equipment
· meat, cereals, fish
· opto photo, technical, medical etc apparatus
· pharmaceutical and medical products